This verse reminds me about endurance and that hard work eventually pays off. So many times, life throws a curveball and plans to finish a project, a task, or even a college degree, can get put on the “back burner” of the priority list.
Adult students have so many obstacles and so many distractions, during their college experience, it can sometimes be overwhelming… but the key is to stay focused, take one day at a time, and never give up!
As you are encountering distractions in your educational journey that cause you think about quitting or taking a break, here are a few things to consider or remember:
- Remember your WHY! (What prompted you in the very beginning of this journey to pursue finishing your degree??)
- Stay focused on your ultimate end-goal! (How will your life change if you continue to do the same thing, and you do not finish this degree?)
- Consider who may be watching you? (You never know who in your class or in your circle of friends or family may be watching to see how far you go… your choices will not only affect you- but those watching, as well.)
- Who is your support network? (Do you have someone to hold you accountable in this journey- to support and motivate you when times are tough? If not… find that person, today! Offer to be someone else’s accountability partner- so you can motivate each other until the end.)
- Ask for help! (Belhaven Staff and Faculty are your cheerleaders… come see us if you need help, or just want us to pray with you or encourage you, we care about you!)
- Take it one day and one course at a time! (Try not to overwhelm yourself on focusing on ALL of the work, but look at your degree plan, as a marathon… slow, steady, and consistent. You will eventually cross the finish line…so stay on course!)
Changing your life for the better is a good thing… it may not be easy…but if you commit and stay focused, you will finish and you will be blessed! I have never heard anyone ever tell me in my seventeen years in higher education that they regret finishing their degree. I have only heard, them say… they should have finished it- a lot sooner! Timing is everything… It is your season, your time… to make the most of this opportunity! Some words of encouragement- to those struggling to stay focused… Pace yourself, pray for yourself, and prepare yourself for the finish line! You can do it!!!