Last week the distance campus Dean’s met for their annual Summit. This is an important meeting which allows for sharing of information and formulation of strategy for the coming year. One of the highlights of the Summit this year was the inclusion of a live webinar broadcast from the Summit in which the Deans all participated in a discussion focused around their role in working with faculty. The questions asked included:
- What would you describe as the central characteristics of the Ideal Instructor?
- What are the top challenges you face in working with or scheduling faculty?
- When you visit a classroom for a faculty observation what are some of the best and worst things you have seen? (no names, please)
- With our emphasis on holding students the full scheduled class period, what are some specific activities faculty can use other than lecturing or group discussion during that final hour?
- What are some ways that you could recommend to generate student engagement both within the classroom and outside of it?
There were some other questions asked, as well as some audience participation. The bottom line: Our faculty are AMAZING!!! Great things are happening in the classroom and in the lives of our students because of your service and dedication. We can’t thank you enough for all you do.
Overall it was a great discussion and I hope you will take the time to view it at this LINK.