Getting to Know Clara Brown, Campus Security

Clara Brown, Campus Security Officer

Clara Brown, Campus Security Officer

“Belhaven surprised me,” states Clara Brown, who has been a Belhaven campus security officer  for 11 years now. As we continue to talk, I learn that it’s really the students’ openness and warmth that has been surprising. In stark contrast to her previous job on a different campus, Belhaven students were eager to make her part of “the Belhaven family,” as she now calls it. She says, “I like to see how students here volunteer, how they go to church, and how they invite me to pray with them.” In fact, she credits these students with helping her grow spiritually over the years.

When Clara talks about her job, she mentions the things she does (escorting students to and from their cars, unlocking doors, patrolling the campus, etc), but mostly she just talks about the students themselves. Her favorite aspect of her job? “I love helping students.” How has the job changed her perspective? “I am more of an athlete by nature, but hanging around artists at Belhaven has given me an appreciation for all of life.” A first that this job has provided? “It’s my first time working somewhere where I meet people from all over the world.” The most pivotal moment that changed her perspective towards students forever? The day a student athlete came up to her, gave her a hug, and told her she is loved. Today, “Miss Clara,” as she is affectionately known around campus, does her job joyfully–keeping campus safe for “her family.”

9 thoughts on “Getting to Know Clara Brown, Campus Security

1. I think it is great that everyone at Belhaven has the opportunity to have a public face and not just the board members and select crowd! And Clara, congratulations on your post! Having a face and a name make me feel better about my children going there.

2. I am a photographer. I would like to bring a bride this Friday around 9am and take a pic of her on the staircase in the dance building. My phone number is 601.212.7391.
    I need to get the ok from before I come.

Thanks for calling me or sending me a email at: larryedmondson@att.net.

Have a blessed day,
    Denise Edmondson