Yusufu Jinkiri Joins Belhaven’s Legacy of Learning

Yusufu Jinkiri, Assistant Professor of Business Administration, celebrated 20 years of teaching at Belhaven University and recently joined the university’s Legacy of Learning.

Yusufu was born and raised in Nigeria to Muslim parents, but became a Christian at an early age. He attended Ahmadu Bello University in Nigeria where he received an undergraduate degree in Economics, before coming to the United States to pursue a Ph.D. from the University of Connecticut.

After going back and receiving a Master’s degree in theology from Wheaton College, Yusufu heard of Belhaven from Dr. Chip Mason.

“His family and mine had attended the same church for a number of years,” Yusufu said. “Through my interactions with him, he informed me of a teaching opportunity at Belhaven. The rest is history!”

“When I first arrived on campus, Bettye Quinn warmly welcomed me. She gave me a book and a card that made a positive and lasting impression on me, added Yusufu.

Since coming to Belhaven, Yusufu has taught a wide variety of courses in the business school. But the campus has changed greatly since he first joined the faculty in 1998.

“The construction projects on campus have been a wonderful change,” Yusufu said. “We have added new academic programs and expanded our reach to a number of campuses outside of Jackson. But we have not wavered on the academic quality that we offer students, as well as our emphasis on the Christian Worldview.”

Even after 20 years of teaching, Yusufu continues to be encouraged daily by his students.

“One of my favorite memories at Belhaven is when students come to my office and we are able to pray together. It is encouraging to know that the Lord answers our prayers – always according to His perfect will.”