This afternoon I had the joy to share with all our new students and their parents. Several asked for the outline of the challenge to them, and so here it is:
DEVELOP A PATTERN OF PERSISTENCE
Plan a purpose not a path for your life
1. God called you here, and God never calls us to failure
2. You are capable or we wouldn’t have let you into Belhaven
3. Persistence in college will require a new level of discipline
4. Reach out for help when you need support
5. LEARN to Persevere
Romans 5:3-4 ‘We can rejoice when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us – they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation.’
- Rejoice in the problems and trials – because
- Problems and trials are good for us – because
- We must learn endurance – because
- Endurance develops strength of character – because
- Character strengthens confidence
Each challenge in life is God’s way of preparing our character to give us confidence to handle something greater yet to come.
Only in Christ can we have a consistent character to live in confidence.