In the rapidly changing water picture, here is where we stand.
1. We have no heat in all buildings except Irby Science (wings only), The Cube, Raymond Hall, Maintenance, and the Gym. All other buildings are on our steam system that requires water.
2. Only a minimal office staff will be on site tomorrow. Supervisors are working out schedules for each office.
3. We will be locking all buildings for the remainder of the week, and staff and others who need access will need to contact security 601-968-5900.
4. Many of the students have gone home, but those who are still on campus have been moved to homes or to the Sleep Inn in Flowood.
5. Food service for the remaining students will be delivered to the hotel. The final meal in the dinning commons on campus will be tonight.
6. Once the water returns, we expect to have some internal broken pipes because of the freeze tonight and the lines not being filled with running water tend to break.
7. We fully expect to be ready to go for Monday as planned for the traditional students, but we should know much more by tomorrow afternoon about the progress the city is making. The city has fixed 2/3rd of the broken pipes, and has brought in crews from neighboring towns to work with them. There was a fire at the water treatment plant last night, which makes it even more difficult to restore water pressure.
8. We will make a decision tomorrow afternoon regarding Wednesday evening graduate and adult classes. Without water pressure so the heat and restroom facilities are working, those classes will not meet.
While this is difficult for us all, it is an important reminder of how vital water is to us, and how much we take for granted in God’s goodness to us.
1 out of 7 people in the world do not have access to clean water (not just for a few days like we’re experiencing…and we still have bottles) One of my favorite groups working to help those who need water is Blood:Water Mission, the work by Jars of Clay and led my by friend Jenna Lee – if you’d like to help those who don’t have clean water.
And if you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of my followers, you will surely be rewarded. Matthew 10:42