What I Love about Acting

There is something to be said in having the opportunity to play a pirate, judge, villain, hero, fighter, possessed, or tormented soul. It is the opportunity to be something I am not—to be more than my usual self- I can be extraordinary. However, despite the truth in playing a role different from myself, there is an underlying truth that emerges as I play these fanciful roles: Am I not the one that guides this character and chooses their objectives, creates the role, and with my uniqueness informs the character as to how to move, how to speak, and is it not myself that creates the objectives and life of this lifeless character. It is me who makes this character come alive. It is the choices I make that embody the role; therefore, is this character that is seemingly so different from me really just me making choices based upon my own feelings and experiences. Is it not me that just raises my own stakes, reacts according to what I feel this character would do? This is the great paradox of acting: I play me/ not me. The dichotomy of the character and myself. What is the difference between them? If there is than what is it?