Belhaven Alum Starts Christian Activewear Company

When Joanna Weaver came to Belhaven from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma in the fall of 2004, she had no idea what to expect. What she found was a caring environment, lifelong friendships, academic rigor and a Christian setting that would prepare her for something she could not imagine as a freshman business major on the Blazers’ women’s soccer team.

“The network of friendships and relationships with staff, professors, coaches and fellow students was one of the most valuable parts of my Belhaven experience,” said Weaver. “Each of these relationships helped to educate me, encourage me and brought opportunity.”

Today, Joanna is the CEO of Glory Active, a premium activewear brand that proudly supports Christian faith. The company’s mission is to inspire Christian women to wear clothing that reflects who they are and what they stand for.

“Glory Active existed as a dream I had growing up as a competitive athlete,” Joanna said. “I always dreamed to work in a sports apparel company with athletes and those with active lifestyles where I could lead and build relationships to share my faith.”

In an early morning devotion in March of 2017, the big idea hit Joanna. She felt God’s call to start building a women’s activewear business targeted to Christian women – with inspiring messages and designs. Her business background provided her the expertise and experience to get the idea off the ground and the brand officially launched six months later.

“It honestly scared me a little to take that plunge,” added Weaver. “I realize the risks of starting a business in the competitive sphere of retail apparel, but I am fully excited to see what is going to happen for God’s glory.”

Beyond offering premium quality apparel and faith-based messaging, Glory Active also gives back a portion of its profits to Christian charities and organizations.

“My hope is Glory Active continues to help remind women, including myself when struggling, feeling like giving up, fearful, not good enough, or stuck on thinking you just can’t, to let them all know they can when God is with you, because all things are possible through Christ who gives us strength. And know that he makes no mistakes.”