Blazing Gold, Going Green

So, what goes on at BC during the summer?  Outside of my office, it’s all squirrels and sprinklers, but I thought the student center might have some action worth writing about. I made an excuse to get the mail, and I returned with a small pile of junk mail and big campus activity to report…

I ran into David Potvin, Assistant Vice President over Campus Operations. If anyone knows what’s happening around campus, it’s David! Well, I quickly found out that things are not as quiet as they seem in the summer.

It's not an easy jobChanging light bulbs: not always easy

Does changing light bulbs sound mundane? How about when it saves you THOUSANDS in energy savings? Yes, BC’s going green, and the campus is blazing with brighter, more efficient lighting! Campus Ops used to change light bulbs in the student center wall sconces several times a week. They burned too hot, overheated, and then burned out. With compact fluorescent lights (CFLs), they haven’t had to be changed since they were put in over a year ago.

It's not an easy jobI can see my food now!

Similar “light bulb” moments have been happening all across campus. Belhaven’s well-known “Wall of Lights,” made up of decorative street lamps around campus, is a great way to keep the campus well-lit and secure at night…as long as the light bulbs are burning bright. This summer, all 136 lamps were refitted with CFL bulbs and the result is a brighter light along with a savings of $11,000-12,000 a year in energy costs.

Kevin, Ricky, and Clint help BC go greenKevin, Ricky, and Clint help BC go green

I caught three Campus Ops employees on the job in the Dining Commons. Ricky, one of the employees, explained with pride how by changing out the food service area from energy-sucking track lighting to more brightly lit CFLs, “We’ve dropped power use by 60% in the dining hall food service area alone.” And now people can see their food! I asked the three employees if they felt good about their job, since it is providing such a savings AND a well-lit, secure campus environment…and they smiled for the camera, which is all I can really ask for!

2 thoughts on “Blazing Gold, Going Green

1. I would name your blog the dreamland! While Santa knocks at our door just once per year, you blog is open the whole year – wow!

2. Yay! I love the maintenance workers! They are so nice. It is awesome that Belhaven is replacing the lightbulbs to greener ones! (Maybe I should too…)

Keep up the awesome work!