Healthy Initiative passes 1-year Mark

Nutrition Facts

Belhaven CafeteriaWould you like fries with that? You might think twice if their ample calorie count is staring you in the face.

Last year, the Belhaven Dining Commons (run by MMI), launched a “Healthy Initiative” program to help students make informed decisions about their meals. Along with changing all frying oil to 0-trans fat oil, the staff has added Nutritional Information cards to the mix, complete with the average calorie count in each entree. They also offer a sugar free dessert and ice cream each day.

So what’s the verdict? Do you think knowing the nutritional value of your meal options changes the way you choose your food?

5 thoughts on “Healthy Initiative passes 1-year Mark

1. As the Healthy Initiative passes its one-year mark, it is evident that it has made a significant impact on the health and well-being of individuals and communities. This comprehensive program, designed to promote healthy lifestyles, has successfully created a positive shift in people’s habits and attitudes towards their overall well-being.

Over the past year, the Healthy Initiative has focused on various aspects of health, including nutrition, physical activity, mental well-being, and community engagement. Through educational campaigns, workshops, and accessible resources, individuals have been empowered to make informed choices about their health and adopt healthier behaviors.
    https://cookingist.com

2. I find the nutrition information very helpful when I eat lunches in the caf. It makes it so much easier to choose entrees with lower cholesterol values. I happen to love cooked vegetables, and there are always several to fill my plate. The greens today were especially tasty!

3. Knowing the nutritional value of the food I eat doesn’t really change the way I choose my food, since there aren’t really that many better options presented.