From Redeemer NYC to Redeemer MS

From 1996 to 2001, my wife and I lived in Nyack, NY, twenty-five miles north of New York City, while we were teaching at a small Christian liberal arts college in the area. Both being from the South originally (Virginia and Georgia), we expected to find many places to worship, fellowship, and hear the preaching of God’s word in such a heavily populated area of the country—but we were mistaken. In fact, those five years of our married life were the most difficult we have had in regard to finding a church home.

One of the saving graces—and one of the conduits of saving grace—during those years was Tim Keller. As often as possible, we drove into Manhattan on Sunday mornings or evenings to hear Keller preach in Hunter College Auditorium or at a church on the West Side. My wife and I often commented that one Keller sermon gave us spiritual food to feed on for several weeks.

Furthermore, a Sunday evening sermon during January 2001 changed the direction of our lives. Keller preached about the importance of consistent participation in the body life of the church—being with other Christians and being under the preaching of God’s word. Because of the difficulty we had finding a church where we could belong and serve (Redeemer Church in NYC was a one-hour drive for us one way), that sermon—ironically—prompted us to consider moving south again.

Seemingly out of the blue, I received a call a week later from a friend in Jackson, MS, about an opening in the English department at Belhaven College. We have lived, worked, and worshiped in Jackson since July 2001, and, through God’s grace, attend Redeemer Church, Jackson, MS—a church that often reminds us of Redeemer Church, NYC. Tim Keller’s teaching and preaching change lives because they hold forth again and again the Great Life Changer.

Randall A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of English
Chair, Creative Writing Department

Dr. Tim Keller, Founder and Pastor of New York’s Redeemer Presbyterian Church and New York Times Bestselling Author, is coming to Belhaven University on Thursday, February 24. He will be speaking on his new book King’s Cross, in the Center for the Arts Concert Hall at 7:00 pm. For more information see release “Dr. Tim Keller Speaks at Belhaven University.”

8 thoughts on “From Redeemer NYC to Redeemer MS

1. Explore the pinnacle of automation technology with We Sell Stocks, your go-to destination for Programmable Logic Controller (PLCs). Our diverse inventory showcases high-quality PLCs designed for various industrial applications, ensuring top-notch performance and efficiency. Whether you’re upgrading manufacturing processes or enhancing automation solutions, find the perfect PLC to meet your unique needs at competitive prices. “We Sell Stocks” is committed to delivering excellence in quality and customer satisfaction, making us your trusted partner for acquiring advanced PLC technology. Revolutionize your operations with our exceptional selection of Programmable Logic Controllers, setting the standard for efficiency and innovation.

2. In general, in order to focus on important aspects of my study program and maintain a balance between studies and personal life, I use the help of a nursing essay writer. Thanks to cooperation with specialists, I feel confident because I know that my works will be written by professionals specializing in the medical field. It helps to increase my level of confidence in my own knowledge and skills.

3. That Sunday evening sermon marked a turning point in our lives, as it emphasized the significance of actively engaging in the life of the church community. Keller’s message resonated deeply with us, especially considering the challenges we faced in finding a church where we could fully participate and serve. Despite the distance from Redeemer Church in NYC, which required a one-hour drive each way, the sermon stirred within us a desire to seek out a community where we could wholeheartedly invest ourselves. Consequently, it prompted us to contemplate relocating southward once more, seeking a closer connection to a church community where we could both grow spiritually and contribute meaningfully.

4. This is an excellent article slope. This is, in my opinion, one of the best posts ever written. Your work is excellent and inspiring. Thank you very much.

5. Thank you for your testimony Dr. Smith. We’re so glad you and Laura made your way back South and that y’all found Redeemer.

I am so looking forward to hearing Dr. Keller!